Brother to be charged in Côte St. Luc teen’s slaying

The Gazette, August 10, 2010

MONTREAL – An 18-year-old from Cote St. Luc was charged Tuesday with first-degree murder in the death of his 14-year-old sister.

Police received a 911 call, which was made by one of the girl’s family members, at 6:40 p.m. Monday. The incident occurred at a home on Randall Ave. near the intersection of Côte St. Luc Rd.

“When the officers arrived, they found she was severely injured, it seems by a sharp object,” said Montreal police Constable Anie Lemieux.

“An ambulance was called but, unfortunately, she was declared dead.”

Police don’t know the circumstances of the slaying at this time, but described it as a “violent death.” The major investigations unit arrived on the scene at about 9 p.m. to begin its investigation and interview the girl’s family members and the officers who responded to the emergency call.

The suspect, 18-year-old Maor Attar, did not appear physically before a judge at the Montreal courthouse. Instead, he was represented through a telephone call connecting his hospital room at the Jewish General Hospital to a courtroom. Constable Raphael Bergeron said he would not be able to appear because of injuries he suffered “during the event.”

Through a legal aid lawyer, Louis Huot, Attar entered a not-guilty plea to a first-degree murder charge in the death of Shirel Attar. A judge ordered that he remain in custody until his next court date on Sept. 8.

According to the indictment, he was living at the house at Randall Ave.

Maor Attar was not on the scene when police arrived. He was found at 11 p.m.

Authorities interviewed the brother throughout the night.

Michael Peres, 20, a friend of the victim’s older sister, passed by the home on Randall Ave. Tuesday morning. He said he hoped to see someone from the family and was disappointed when he learned the house was empty after police investigators left sometime before 11 a.m.

“I took a day off from work. I can’t even work. She was such a sweet girl,” Peres said.

“It just bothers me a lot. I thought if I just came here… but apparently the house is blocked off,” he said just before the police removed several feet of red police tape that surrounded the two-storey house.

“It’s not something you would expect from a family like that. I’m sure it’s devastating (for the older sister).”

Peres said [the older sister] did not say much to him about her younger brother.

He said Shirel and her older sister, 19, had a close relationship, something neighbours also said was very evident. They often were seen walking a white dog together.

But a few neighbours said they were surprised to learn the two sisters had a brother.

“I didn’t realize there was a brother because I never saw him there before,” said Irene Koningsberg, a neighbour who owns a dog and was impressed by how the victim and the older sister walked and took care of their dog.

“They seemed like nice girls – quiet and respectful. It’s terrible. I didn’t sleep last night. It was a shock because when it happens in another neighbourhood it’s not a surprise. But in this neighbourhood it is.”

The teen’s death is the city’s 24th homicide this year.

Read more: