Havis had about 40 bayonets as well as about 180 firearms in his home; not the first run-in with police


Isidore Havis, 71, could be arraigned from his hospital bed Thursday afternoon, depending whether his medical condition permits.

MONTREAL — The 71-year-old man arrested after an armed standoff with police in Côte St-Luc remains in a hospital Thursday as authorities tried to find a way to charge him.

Isidore Havis’s name appeared on a role posted Thursday outside a courtroom regularly used for afternoon arraignments at the Montreal courthouse, but plans to have him formally charged were delayed because of his health, said prosecutor Matthew Ferguson. Havis may be charged Friday, he added.

The 20-hour standoff began after Hydro-Québec employees tried to change a meter on the property on Guelph Ave. It ended after Havis was struck by a rubber bullet then arrested.

Havis’s lawyer, Jeffrey Boro, said Havis suffered several broken bones during the police operation and was dehydrated and unstable when he arrived at a hospital.

A member of a Montreal police tactical intervention group was slightly injured during the standoff.

Montreal police Constable Daniel Lacoursière said “numerous charges relating to firearms,” are expected to be filed against Havis. Police seized about 40 bayonets and 180 firearms from the house after the arrest. Other charges may include assault with a weapon causing bodily harm; uttering threats; and mischief over $5,000, Lacoursière said. He added that the guns were registered to the man’s address.

Havis’s health was an issue during a previous court case. He was also hospitalized and too ill to be at the Montreal courthouse when Boro entered a guilty plea, on June 11, 2010, to resisting or wilfully obstructing a peace officer.

The case involved Havis’s reaction to his son’s arrest in February 2008. Tal Havis was charged with possessing and distributing child pornography, and ultimately pleaded guilty to both. He was sentenced, in February 2010, to a one-year prison term and three years of probation.

According to court records, when police went to the Guelph Ave. house to arrest Tal Havis, his father confronted the officers. When police ordered the elder Havis to remain in another room while they made the arrest, Isidore Havis refused, and appeared “disoriented.” The prosecutor who summarized the case in court in 2010 said Isidore Havis pushed one of the officers during the confrontation. The elder Havis then suffered a heart attack while his son was being arrested, and had to be hospitalized. He was later charged with assaulting a peace officer and resisting or wilfully obstructing a peace officer in the execution of their duty.

Two years later, Isidore Havis pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of obstructing a peace officer and was sentenced to an unconditional discharge. A stay of proceedings was placed on the more serious charge of assault. By then, his son Tal had pleaded guilty to a second set of child pornography charges.

The second set of charges involved an investigation by the RCMP in Newfoundland and were initially filed in that province in October 2009. According to a report published in The Telegram, the charges were based on a complaint the RCMP in Newfoundland received in 2007 that prompted an investigation by their computer forensic unit. Havis had the case transferred to the Montreal courthouse on Feb. 15, 2010, and pleaded guilty to possessing and distributing child pornography at the same time as he entered his plea to the charges filed related to the Montreal police investigation.

Jan Ravensbergen contributed to this report.


© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Full story, news clips, and more

Aftermath of standoff