CSL announces mayoral election process
November 17, 2015
By Joel Goldenberg
Côte St. Luc has announced the process leading up to next year’s mayoral election, to replace Mount Royal MP Anthony Housefather.
Pro-mayor Glenn Nashen is at the helm for now.
At Monday night’s public meeting, Côte St. Luc’s city clerk officially declared a vacancy on council.
“Because there is more than one year until the November 2017 municipal elections across Quebec, the city council cannot simply appoint someone to be mayor — there must be a by- election,” the city announcement says. “The Returning Officer will select a date for the byelection at a date to be determined. If only one candidate files nomination papers, then she or he will be acclaimed mayor. When the b-election date is set, it will be posted at CoteSaintLuc.org.”
So far, among council members, only Councillor Allan Levine has declared an intention to run, via his Facebook page. Other council members are either considering the possibility, saying it’s too early at this point to declare anything or are not running — at least next year.
The Suburban heard a rumour that former D’Arcy McGee MNA Lawrence Bergman, who is very popular in the community, would possibly run. We called Bergman and asked if he had any intention to run.
“No, at the moment, I have no intention,” Bergman said. “At the moment.”