Musicians of the World Symphony Orchestra to perform benefit concert in support of the Côte Saint-Luc Cats Committee on August 23
August 8, 2016
The Côte Saint-Luc Cats Committee (CSLCC) will hold its annual fundraising concert on Tuesday, August 23 at 7:30pm at the Syd Wise Auditorium of the Marymount Adult Education Centre at 5785 Parkhaven Ave.
Featured performers will be the Musicians of the World Symphony Orchestra (www.musiciansoftheworld.ca), conducted by Joseph Milo. Some members of his orchestra will also present solo performances. Funds raised from A Bouquet of Classics: The Music We All Love will go towards the CSLCC’s Trap, Neuter, Release and Adopt Program.
“This benefit concert is an opportunity for people who love animals to enjoy an evening of fine music while contributing to a good cause,” Mayor Mitchell Brownstein said. “This is another example of how the city promotes arts and culture, close to home.”
Nutrience Pet Food by Hagen and D’Arcy McGee Liberal MNA David Birnbaum, will be the evening’s official sponsors.
“There are many feral cats in the community,” said Councillor Mike Cohen, the council member responsible for animal protection in the city. “The CSLCC’s team of volunteers sets out to trap as many as possible, have them sterilized and then adopted or returned to the spot where they were originally found. The committee has also rescued many kittens and found homes for them. In recent years the city has adopted cat licensing bylaw.”
The Musicians of the World Symphony Orchestra (MWSO) was founded in 2006 by conductor Milo and his wife Lucy Ravinsky. This one of a kind orchestra is composed of 55 musicians: about 80 percent of its members are from 15 countries around the world, while the remaining 20 percent are natives of Montreal who successfully facilitated the integration of the newcomers. They have been rehearsing at Côte Saint-Luc City Hall for many years and as part of the arrangement, they agree to perform a benefit concert once a year. The Côte Saint-Luc Cats Committee and Educhat are the 2016 beneficiaries.
Tickets are only $12 each (tax included) and can be purchased now at the following locations: the main desk at the Eleanor London Côte Saint-Luc Public Library (5851 Cavendish Blvd.); the Côte Saint-Luc Aquatic and Community Centre (5794 Parkhaven Ave.); and the Côte Saint-Luc Hospital for Animals (7930 Baily Rd.). Tickets can be purchased at the first two locations by credit and debit card or cash and cash only at the Animal Hospital.
Councillors Cohen and Sam Goldbloom, who are co-chairing the event, note that information will be available that night for people interested in possibly joining the committee or adopting a cat. A bake sale will be held at intermission. For more information call 514-485-6806, ext. 2200 or log on to www.cotesaintluc.org/cats.